Adult Spiritual Formation
How do we grow in faith? How do we grow closer to God? Is worship enough? Do we have to read Scripture? What if we aren’t comfortable with the Bible? Or prayer for that matter? What if we struggle with doubts? What if we have more questions than actual beliefs? What if we’re not even sure where to begin? Or if we want to begin?
OR, what if we have a relationship with God, but yearn to dig deeper, and long for opportunities to go deep with others? What if we know the love of God deep down to our toes, but aren’t comfortable sharing or talking about this love out loud?
The Church should be the place for all these questions and concerns, hopes and struggles, just as the Church should be the place for every last soul who has ever experienced them. At TPC, our spiritual formation program for adults is designed to offer everyone—regardless of where you are on your own spiritual journey—a chance to begin exploring your faith more intentionally.
Our hope is that you will take one or some of these opportunities to step out onto the growing edge of your faith—wherever it may be—and explore your relationship with God in an accessible, judgment-free, communal environment.
Beginning in September From September 2019 through August 2020, TPC is exploring Brian McLaren's fantastic book, We Make the Road By Walking.
In opening words to the book, Brian says,
You are not finished yet. You are in the making. You have the capacity to learn, mature, think, change and grow. Faith was never supposed to be a destination, but instead a road, path, or a way out of old patterns into new patterns.
This books offers everything you need to explore what a difference an honest, living, growing faith can make in our world today.
Broken into 52 chapters, each chapter is just 3-4 pages long and can be read in 8-12 minutes. The end of each chapter includes questions designed for thoughtful reflection and transformative practices.
Here's your invitation:
- Purchase a book
- Contact TPC's office to arrange to pick up one at the discounted price of $5
- Purchase/order a copy through any retailer. Audio books are available.
- Read a chapter a week
- Set aside a few minutes each week to read a chapter along with the Scripture lessons Brian suggests at the beginning of each chapter (TPC's Adult Spiritual Formation team found that reading the Scriptures really facilitated their engagement with the chapter).
- If you know already know a lot of the biblical stories this book is a great opportunity to explore them further.
- If you don’t have much experience with the Bible, this a GREAT opportunity for you to begin learning them. We encourage you to read the Scriptures and then the chapter.
- Join a Small Group
- Sign-up for a fall We Make The Road By Walking Small Group that explores chapters of the book in community.
- Click Here to explore leaders and times.
- Meet the Author
- Join us on Sunday, March 29, 2020 when we Skype with author Brian McLaren during our 10 a.m. worship service.
- Click here to listen to Pastors Joel & Rob's podcasts as they discuss the book and their own journeys of faith.
- You can also subscribe through iTunes or Google Play.
If you've been pursuing growth in your faith for a while now, this book is for you. It will only deepen it!
If you’re brand new to faith and not really sure where to get started, this book is for you. It's a perfect place to begin!
Whether you began reading the book in September or much later, we sincerely hope you will join us on this journey!